Why take a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course?
The Basic Eight-Week MBSR course will teach you how to:
- Calm your body and quiet your overly busy mind
- Keep cool under pressure and bounce back quickly even if you “lose it”
- Handle hassles and challenges – at work and at home – more effectively and gracefully
- Focus and concentrate better
- Sleep better
- Feel better
- Function better
What does the research say about MBSR?
Mindfulness in general and MBSR in particular have been found to help people cope more effectively with an ever-widening list of physical and mental conditions, including: anxiety, addictions, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADD), cancer, chronic pain, depression, eating disorders and binge eating, emotion regulation, fibromyalgia, heart disease, HIV, insomnia, loneliness (especially among the elderly), menopausal hot flashes, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, sleep disorders, substance abuse, and Type 2 diabetes. A comprehensive literature review conducted in four of the largest health science databases (EBSCO, CINAHL, PSYCHLINE, and MEDLINE) concluded that “MBSR is an effective treatment for reducing the stress and anxiety that accompanies daily life and chronic illness.” Mindfulness and mindfulness-based interventions are being taught all across the lifespan from toddlers to the elderly, and in every field of endeavor: mental and physical health, education, sports, business, and the military.
What does an MBSR course entail?
- 8 weekly classes, 2.5 hours each, of instruction and lots of hands-on practice
- An additional special “all-day class” to consolidate your learning and provide a unique opportunity to experience quieting the body and mind in a more concentrated form
- Small classes, to ensure lots of individualized attention and training
- Lots of support via workbook, handouts, guided instructions delivered by CD/mp3, and individualized teacher attention
- You will be expected to commit to daily practice of a total of about 45-60 minutes per day, to maximize the benefits of the course
- Courses are offered in both Hebrew and English, often depending who’s in a particular course and their linguistic needs. You can take the course even if it’s not in your primary language as long as your receptive language is good enough. You’ll get written and aural course materials in the language of your choice.
- NIS 2,500 – includes a pre-course individual consultation, VAT, and all course materials.
- Payment schedules are available.
- Discounts: Returning MBSR graduates pay NIS 2,000
- For couples signing up together, the second registrant pays NS 2,000
- Baka, Jerusalem. Public transportation: Buses 14, 15, 18, 74 and 75